Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vacation to Nauvoo

Twenty Two years ago, I went on the church history trip with the seminary program. I told myself back then, that someday I wanted to bring my own family to Nauvoo. The desire was fulfilled these first ten days of June. My kids were old enough that they could endure the traveling and remember and appreciate it. We were able to see alot of church history. We went to Independence, Missouri and toured the visitors center and saw the Church of Christ Temple and the temple site where a new temple will someday be built in Missouri. We then went to Liberty, Missouri and toured Liberty Jail, where the Prophet Joseph Smith was in prison for four months. After that, we drove to Adam-ondi-Ahman. Even though this was a huge field you could feel that it is a sacred place. Bruce R. McConkie stated "Sacred indeed is the whole region for what has taken place and what will take place in its environs." (The Millenial Messiah P. 588).


We also went to Hannibal, Missouri which is the birthplace of Mark Twain (author of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn). We were able to ride on the Mississippi Riverboat and go on a dinner cruise.


Since Nauvoo was the main destination, we spent 4 days there and were able to tour all of the historical homes and shops. We also went to the Temple where Makel & Kirsten were able to do baptisms for the dead and Gregg and I went through a session. The Temple was beautiful. Makel & Kirsten will tell you that it was their favorite part of the vacation. Even Natalie & Jared will tell you that Nauvoo was their favorite because they participated in pioneer pastimes and fun activities that they had for younger kids.






My personal favorite was Carthage Jail. I loved Nauvoo, but the feeling that I felt while we toured Carthage Jail was undeniable. I have a stronger testimony of what Joseph and Hyrum Smith sacrificed and went through. After leaving Carthage Jail, we picniced along the Missippi River on our way back to Nauvoo.


After we left Nauvoo, we drove to Winter Quarters and then up into South Dakota where we were able to see Mt. Rushmore and go to a lighting ceremony. We also took to the Flintstones Village (which was very lame but Natalie and Jared seemed to enjoy it).




We had a good time and were able to see alot of church history which I hope my kids will remember.

4 comments:

Tarali said...

Fun recap and great pictures!

Mom Fin said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your feelings. They were so great to see.

Rich said...

Yabadabadooo!
What a great country - Mark Twain, Joseph Smith, Abe Lincoln and his other presidential peeps, and Wilma Flinstone all intertwined into the great fabric of the American heartland.

R,J,J,G,N Fin said...

Kim - I am so glad that you were able to take your family back! That is awesome! Perhaps someday Rob and I will follow in your footsteps. j